Monday, June 23, 2008

June 23rd

Every day Nick does better and better. Today was his first physical therapy session. He did great. They were pleased with the movement he was getting with his leg. As of today we have 6.0 millimeters of new length. We are getting use to the monitor device and not so frustrated.

We ventured out into the world today. loaded Nick, crutches and his really big wheelchair into the car to head to Trader Joe's for some fruit and veggies. Got Nick in, got the crutches in, and then it was somewhat amusing. Had to laugh at myself especially when another parent came running to my aid. All went well until I got the chair stuck in the back of the car. Not far enough in and not coming out either. Took a deep breath and suddenly all was good again. We found Chik-fila to pick up dinner. Then on the way home the most beautiful rainbow came out in the sky. It was a rainbow that you could see from side to side. We chased it all the way back to the Hackerman Patz House and took some pictures with the Hospital and the rainbow. Nick and I both think that it is a sign. Either that we came to the right place or that we have a lot of friends back home thinking of us.

7 comments:

Dana said...

We are SOOO happy to hear the good report after the first PT appointment! We are all thinking of you.

Love and hugs to all from the McCloskeys

annemarie said...

What a speed demon. I bet it felt great to get out for a little while. I laughed when pictured your mom wrestling with the wheelchair. During summer school, I took an adapted chair to a students house, got the wheel stuck in the dirt, and almost ate the concrete when my aide and I tripped over it. Hopefully, you two will have better luck with chairs on wheels. Looks like everythig is going well...love you both!

annemarie said...

I just got back from horseback riding lessons...my little friend was angry and did not want to ride...so...he bit my hand and left 2 bruises on my arm and a ring of teeth marks around my knuckle...Nick...do NOT bite your therapist next time you see her...okay!

Anonymous said...

Nick,
You'll be a pro by the time you get back - you'll win all of the wheelchair races at youth lock-ins at church!
So glad you're doing well. It's no surprise that you work hard at therapy!
Blessings,
Mrs. O

Anonymous said...

Nick,

Sounds like you are staying strong & keeping the faith. Tell you mom not to let the wheelchair win the wrestling match! The rainbow....definitely a wonderful positive sign from the big guy above! Keep working hard & before you know it you'll be home.

We all miss you bunches here & at Chapel Choir (especially that Kevin character)!

Love,
Miss Dale

Anonymous said...

I love you nick. You are one awesome kid. Cant wait to see when you get home. Do Work Son, and remain in the lobby.

Anonymous said...

that rainbow pic is awwwwwesome! :) nick...ur doing great and soon enough it'll all be through! keep doin ur thing :) luv u!!! xoxo